So I had to test out the usability of my REST API and what’s a better way than developing an app that does it? Of course, being limited with app development skills, I turned to something more easier that I, atleast, have some skills in; Browser Addons/Extensions.
Now one thing I learned was that developing a browser addons is mostly the same as making a web application. Except you need to have a manifest file and have it compiled by your browser into a proper extension. That’s pretty much it.
The reason why it’s such a generic name was because I had thought of the possibility of releasing it into the wild market, free to download and use. So the name would easily be search-able and would get SEO points. But the thing is it’s been about a month and Opera’s market takes almost forever to review an Addon and Chrome and Firefox have you make an initial payment to start putting addons/apps on their market, and I don’t have an card available at the moment so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
I don’t plan on updating the addon, it was merely for searching up Anime and viewing it just so I could get the gist of browser addon development and to see how my REST API worked with it. The conclusion was pretty nice.
The whole project is open-source and available on Github: https://github.com/irfan-dahir/anime-info
Designed with Material Design in mind and developed with speed in mind, it’s probably the only addon out there for its’ purpose. (No kidding, I couldn’t find anything remotely close). Sure, it can be updated to allow users to login and even update their Anime and Manga lists and even view and search Mangas – but again, nah.